From Leopard Gecko Wiki
Ghost aka Hypo Ghost
Ghosts or Hypo Ghosts belong to the "old school" colourmorphs. They have extremly faded colors and a greatly reduced dark pigmentation. These morph will show its true colors after they reach a size of 5 to 6 inches. Pure ghosts are hard to recognize as hatchlings. However, for the experienced breeder Mack Snow Ghost- hatchlings can be easily seperated from their normal MackSnow-clutchmates due to their lighter dark brown or dark violet colouration that develops into a "coffe&cream"-contrast within the next sheds..
There were, and currently still are many hypos (or also pastel coloured geckos with faded colours) that are sold or missinterpreted as "Ghosts". However, such animals will not reproduce in the typical way of a genetic Ghost, which will become easily noticable when trying to reproduce them or to cross them into other projects. As a consequence (just like in W&Y), choosing the breeder wisely and checking his "history" and results of the past generations in breeding ghosts is essential for anyone insterested in finding genetic ghosts.
The original, genetic Ghost-line is said to be eighter created by Ray Hine or Alex Hue (exact datas are unfortunately missing). The Ghosts popped up in one of their Hypo-lines, and Alex Hue bred and sold them for many years.
There is a huge difference between a genetic Ghost, and an ordinary Hypo: True Ghosts never show the typical bright yellowish colouration present in hypos. In addition, most non-albino Ghosts & Ghost-Kombos develop green shades that range from a very light hue over sea-green to a deep "millitary green". True Ghosts also lighten up and their colour fades - in comparison to most young hypos which get more brilliant and deeper in coulours each shed.. Most Ghosts also show a strong tendency to change their colours depending on their current mood and/or the time of the year: they can be almost appear to be "smokey dark" one day, and bright light coloured on the next day.
The Ghost-Gene acts dominant. The Ghost can be crossed into almost all other different morphs, and like enigma or W&Y he can "change" the look of other mutations(where normal faded geckos sold as "ghosts" will never have this effect in breeding).
2005,Ron Tremper described the Ghost as a "result of genetics" (p.159), and many breeders in the US & Europe who work with them for years share his findings. The Ghost is for sure a class of its own...
Due to the fact that the Ghost Gene has dissappeared from almost all breeding stocks worldwide due to the appearance of several new colour mutations such as the "Raptor" at that time, there are not even a handfull of breeders that are still working with a true genetical ghost line. Those breeders can be found on the big gecko forums, and their ghost work over the past years is published there.
Who is working with them?
- Dragoon Gecko is primarily working with & refining this line since 2007. Over the years they created new combos such as speckled Ghost, Lavender Stripe Ghost (2011), Ghost Montanus Raptor (2012) and Albeys Linebred Snow Lavender Ghosts (2013).
- JBReptiles is working with the Ghost gene as one of it's mains genetics since 2001 and has selected the original line as pure as well as developped a large amount of Ghost combos(*worldfirst): Since 2001:Ghost Pure / Since 2003:Ghost Tremper*,Ghost Blizzard* / Since 2005:Ghost Blazing Blizzard* / Since 2006:Ghost Mack Snow, Ghost Enigma* / Since 2007:Ghost Enigma Mack Snow*,Ghost Tremper Mack Snow* / Since 2008:Ghost Blazing Blizzard Mack Snow*,Ghost Enigma Tremper*,Ghost Enigma Tremper Mack Snow*,Ghost Eclipse*, Ghost Blizzard Mack Snow*,Ghost Eclipse Mack Snow*,Ghost Blizzard Mack Snow Eclipse*,Ghost Raptor*,Ghost Raptor Mack Snow* / Since 2009:Ghost Bee*,Ghost Black Hole*,Ghost Vermillon Tremper*,Ghost Patty Tremper*,Ghost Patty Tremper Mack Snow* / Since 2010:Ghost Super Snow Blizzard Eclipse*,Ghost Diablo Blanco*,Ghost Diablo Blanco Mack Snow*,Ghost Super Snow Diablo Blanco* Ghost Dreamsicle* / Since 2011:Ghost Vermillon*,Ghost Vermillon Enigma*,Ghost Vermillon Mack Snow* / Since 2012:Ghost Super Snow Patty Diablo Blanco* / Since 2013:Ghost Ember*,Ghost Ember Mack Snow*,Ghost Dalmatian* / Since 2014:Ghost Vermillon Enigma Mack Snow*,Ghost Vermillon Raptor Mack Snow* / Since 2015:Ghost Vermillon Tremper Enigma*,Ghost Vermillon BEE*,Ghost Vermillon Black Hole*,Ghost Vermillon Dreamsicle*
- morphhaus. http://www.morphhaus.de
- Dragoon Gecko. http://www.dragoongecko.com
- Jérémie Bouscail / JBReptiles / http://www.jbreptiles.fr.gd